Chaplains at the front
Initially, the Military Chaplaincy belonged to the Military Health Service.
In the various army units, each battalion had its own chaplain who spent most of his time in the fi rst-aid posts close to the front or in the military hospitals. Catholic chaplains worked together with representatives of Jewish and Protestant communities.
At the beginning of the war, chaplains kept their habit. They started to wear khaki uniforms in October 1915. Catholic and Protestant chaplains could then be recognized by their Latin or Maltese cross.